Research has shown that the health benefits of laughter are far-ranging
Studies so far have shown that laughter can help relieve pain, bring greater happiness, and even increase immunity. Positive psychology names the propensity for laughter and sense of humor as one of the 24 main signature strengths one can possess. As new research surrounding laughter continues, more evidence regarding the numerous benefits of laughter will be discovered.
Benefits of Laughter
Here are some of the many ways laughter reduces stress.
Laughter reduces the level of stress hormones like cortisol, epinephrine (adrenaline), dopamine, and growth hormone. It also increases the level of health-enhancing hormones, like endorphins. Laughter increases the number of antibody-producing cells we have working for us and enhances the effectiveness of T cells. All this means a stronger immune system, as well as fewer physical effects of stress.
Have you ever felt like you have to laugh or you'll cry? Have you experienced that cleansed feeling after a good laugh? Laughter provides a physical and emotional release.
A good belly laugh exercises the diaphragm, contracts the abs, and even works out the shoulders, leaving muscles more relaxed afterward. It even provides a good workout for the heart.
Laughter brings the focus away from anger, guilt, stress, and negative emotions in a more beneficial way than other mere distractions.
Studies show that our response to stressful events can be altered by whether we view something as a threat or a challenge. Humor can give us a more lighthearted perspective and help us view events as challenges, thereby making them less threatening and more positive.
Laughter connects us with others. Just as with smiling and kindness, most people find that laughter is contagious. So, if you bring more laughter into your life, you can most likely help others around you to laugh more and realize these benefits as well. By elevating the mood of those around you, you can reduce their stress levels and perhaps improve the quality of social interaction you experience with them, reducing your stress level even more!
There are numerous other benefits of Laughter! The best way is to experience a Laughter session and feel the benefits for yourself! Contact us to Book a Laughter Session
Laughter Motivational Quotes
* Laughter is the shock absorber that eases the blows of life. - Anon
* At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston
* Laughter is an instant vacation. ~Milton Berle
* Laughter is internal jogging. - Anon
* Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. ~Victor Borge
* Laugh and your life will be lengthened for this is the great secret of long life. ~ Og Mandino
* Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. ~ Mark Twain
* Time spent laughing is time spent with the Gods. ~ Japanese Proverb
* In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. ~ Kahil Gibran
* Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects. ~ Arnold Glasow
* Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face. ~ Victor Hugo